When dressing, jewelry should always be the last item to be put on and the first to be removed. This is to avoid jewelry coming into contact with perfume or hairspray. Perfume and suchlike should always be sprayed on before wearing jewelry.
Wearing jewelry whilst swimming should always be avoided. The chlorine in the water can damage jewelry. Always remove rings and fine jewelry before using any product that contains bleach. Bleach can also cause gold and other metal alloys to deteriorate, leaving the metal irreparably damaged. It may sound obvious, but never use bleach to clean jewelry.
Besides chlorine, bleach, denatured alcohol, turpentine, acetone and ammonia can cause harm. These chemicals can dull or even pit the surface of softer gemstones. Petroleum-based products can actually melt amber if allowed to remain on the stone and they can do significant damage to pearls. These gemstones are soft and porous. Long-term exposure to chemicals such as hairspray, cosmetics, and perfume may damage such organic gemstones, especially pearls.
ALL CONTENT IS FROM: "GemSelect Natural Gems Only." GemSelect. N.p., n.d. Web.